Honoring God in Your Family; Responsibility and Accountability with the Home
Study Date: March 15, 2020
Scripture: Ephesians 6:1-4
MEMORY SELECTION: Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right.Ephesians 6:1
GUIDING PRINCIPLE: God wants us to honor our parents unconditionally, regardless of how they treat us. God will reward our obedience to Him with a long life.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED:
Exodus 20:21; Colossians 3:20-21; Deut 5:16; Proverb 13:24, 22:15; 29:15; Proverbs 4:10-11
IDENTIFY: God’s instructions for how Christian parents and children are supposed to relate to one another.
DESIRE: To commit themselves to following God’s guidelines.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
- Children, _______ your parents.
- What is one of the most important things in the spiritual growth of a child?
- Which is the first commandment with promise?
- What does “honor” mean?
- Who is your first obligation to?
- What is the promise?
- What helps children become responsible adults?
- Fathers, _________ not your children to wrath.
- Bring them up in the ___________ and the _______________ of the Lord.
- Criticism of children makes them feel _______________.
- What is the most important thing for a parent to teach a child
In the beginning, God established the family as the foundation of human relationships. From that family, God built society. Nothing has changed! The family is still the foundational unit of society. In fact, no church, no community, or no nation is stronger than the families that make it up.
Christian Children love God by honoring their parents Ephesians (6:1-3) Children obey their parents because in doing so they’re obeying God, their true Father.
1.It’s hearing and doing. Children are exhorted to obey their parents.
2. When children are living a Spirit-filled life, the characteristic of submission will display itself in the form of obedience to their parents.
“Obey your parents in the Lord” out of the love and obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ.
Obey their parents “because this is right” This means ____________________________________________________________________________
Children are commanded to honor their parents. What is the difference between obeying one’s parents and honoring them?
2. Parents love God by discipling your children (Ephesians 6:4).
What are Christian fathers exhorted to do? ______________________________________
What means is the Christian father to use as he seeks to fulfil his God-given duty to his Children? (Ecclesiastes 11:9, 12:1)
PLANTING THE SEED:
- How does a parent provoke a child to wrath?
- How should a parent discipline a child?
- How can a parent be too soft on a child?
- How can a parent be too hard on a child?
- Why do you think so many in the coming generation are leaving the church?
- How does this lesson pertain to establishing Christian Family Values in your home?
- Do you think the bible is outdated?
Reflection: who is responsible in raising children for Christ?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED: The most important thing is to teach a child the love of God. Children can always depend on God, even when things are going bad in their life. The key to the right discipline and instruction of children is the being of the Lord. Everything parents do for their children is to be of God, according to the teaching of His Word, by the guidance and power of His Holy Spirit, in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to His own glory and honor. All of the instructions in this lesson to wives, husbands, children, and servants were all given, so that we might live peaceable, productive lives while here on earth. God was thinking of us, when He gave these instructions.
Next Week March 22 Sunday School Lesson Read Acts 2:17-21