Word of God Applied Rightly (W.A.R.)
Lesson 3: “People That Celebrate You”
Study Date: February 25, 2020 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Calvary Baptist Church
1 Samuel 10:26
And Saul also went home to Gibeah; and there went with him a band of men, whose hearts God had touched.1 Samuel 10:26 KJV
“People That Celebrate You!”- A Heart Touched by God
Dr. Oscar T. Moses
One of the most important decisions you’ll ever make is who you’ll allow access into your life. We encounter different people that play different roles. We must learn how to adjust to the people we encounter. Let me be clear… There are Haters. Haters want to knock you down a notch and to do it they will launch a smeer campaign to discredit you, diminish you and disapprove of your every move. They monitor your success and prevent it if they can. They are assigned by Satan to create tension in your life.
There are Tolerators. Tolerators endure you. They do not hate you, the chemistry is not there but your paths cross by obligation. Individual obligations bring the relationship together. They tolerate you because they do not want their true feelings exposed. They will not affirm you. You continue to invite yourself along to outings because they will not tell you not to come. They are too busy to answer your text or phone calls. Then there are Celebrators. Celebrators identify you as special and created for a larger purpose. They bring out the absolute best in you and push you towards it. They love you for who you are; short, tall or whatever package you came in. Robert Ingall said, “We rise by lifting others.” Celebrators rise because they are always lifting others up to help them rise.This lesson is designed to teach this truth; the people that Celebrate you, their hearts have been touched by God and they have been assigned to:
- Appreciate what you bring to the table; that is your personal contribution.
- Respect who you are; that is your undeniable character.
- Encourage what you do; that is your individual conduct.
How do you handle life when you are unsure of yourself and the people you expect to celebrate you are merely tolerating you? What do you do when the volume of your haters voice has been turned up to assassinate your character, besmirch your reputation and others merely tolerate you? Such was the case in this biblical account found in 1 Samuel 10. In this passage the Word of God teaches us how God will touch the hearts of some people to affirm and celebrate you when others hate and tolerate you.
King Saul quickly discovered that the annointing of God did not come without resistance. Saul was annointed by God to be the first king of Israel. The Prophet Samuel called all of the people of Israel before the LORD at Mizpah. The people wanted a king and God obliged them. From the tribe of Benjamin God chose Saul, the son of Kish. At the inaguration ceremony of Saul he could not be found for he hid. The people prayed to God and the Lord revealed where Saul was and brought him out. There he was, their first king, King Saul. King Saul stood among the people looking valiant. He stood a head taller than any of the others. Samuel said to all the people, “Do you see the man the LORD has chosen? There is no one like him among all the people.” Then the people shouted, “Long live the king!” Then Samuel explained to the people the regulations of the kingship. He wrote them down on a scroll and deposited it before the LORD. When this was done Samuel dismissed the people, each to his own home. Saul also went to his home in Gibeah, accompanied by valiant men who would support him and encourage him. The text describes these men as those whose hearts God had touched. However, there were those who did not percieve the new king in the same light. They were troublemakers the NIV says, or scoundrels the NLT2 says. King James describes them as the Children of Belial. They said in verse 27, “How can this fellow save us?” They despised him and brought him no gifts. But Saul kept his peace.
- How does the following statements relate to this passage?
- (Verse 26) When God Annoints You For An Assignment He Will Send Assignment Assistance –
- (Verse 27) When God Annoints You For An Assignment Satan Will Send Assignment Assassins
- Why do you feel it is difficult for some people to support others?
How does the following statements help us adjust to being placed in a similar situation as Saul?
- Accept The Fact the Some People Won’t Like You and Never Will
- Appreciate The People Whose Heart God Has Touched
- Know When to Hold Your Peace
Group Discussion on Biblical Passages
Read the following passages and discuss the significance of how they relate to this lesson.
- Proverbs 17:17
- Hebrews 10:24
- Proverbs 3:37
- Proverbs 11:25-26
Group Discussion Questions
- Why do some people find it hard to celebrate others accomplishments?
- How does celebrating accomplishments of others demonstrate faith?
- Why does God allow people to discourage our accomplishments?
- Why is it best not to respond to your critics?
- Name 3 ways you can be a friend that celebrates others.
- Each person is to describe 1 characteristic of each person in the group that celebrates them.
- Discuss why do you think it is important to celebrate those in leadership?
- This Sunday make it your duty to celebrate someone who may be going through a difficult time.
©Rights reserved Dr. Oscar T. Moses – W.A.R. 2020 – 5 People You Need in Your Life