SPARED!/WHO’S HAVING FAITH AND WHO’S HAVING DOUBT?
Scripture: Genesis 19: 1, 15-26, 29
Study Date: 1 SEPT. 19
Memory Verse: “It came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.”Genesis 19: 29
Guiding Principle: We often lack faith especially when trouble comes but those are times we need to bow and prayer.
Resources for the Seed:
Numbers 6: 1-5, 13:15; Psalm 99; 11 Samuel 1: 1-8; 1 Samuel 1: 21-28; 1 Samuel 2: 18-21.
- To explore the angelic deliverance of Lot from destruction.
- To identify with impending disaster.
- To celebrate deliverance from seemingly hopeless situations.
Words to Remember
Abraham—founder of the Hebrew nation, Receiver of God’s covenant.
Angels—messengers of God
Favor—grace, something undeserved, free gift.
Lot—nephew of Abraham, settled in Sodom, delivered from destruction.
Breaking up Fallow Ground
What is the most important thing to know when trying to establish a relationship?
What could happen when all you have is your position?
Can you recall the circumstances when you were spared by a word you received?
What allows a person to intervene on the behalf of another?
THE SEED SPARED!/WHO’S HAVING FAITH AND WHO’S HAVING DOUBT? GENESIS 19: 1, 15-26, 29.
- A Reluctant Rescue (Genesis 19: 1, 15-16)
- God will send visitors to where we are.
- God knows who we are and what our needs are.
- Lot got up and met his visitors.
- The angels urged to Lot to move his family in a hurry to avoid punishment.
- The angels led them to safety.
- Attached to the World (Genesis 19: 17-26)
- Lot and his family were instructed not to look back.
- Lot did not want to leave and disagreed.
- Lot had found favor with God.
- Lot made a request not to go so far and his request was allowed.
- Lot had to leave in a hurry.
- Sodom and Gomorrah were completely destroyed.
- Lot’s wife looked back and was turned into salt.
- Blessings of a Spiritual Legacy (Genesis 19: 29)
- God destroyed the cities.
- He saved Lot because of Abraham.
God always works on behalf of His faithful ones. He is able to deliver.
PLANTING THE SEED
What visitors and when did they show up to visit Lot and his family?
What message was delivered to Lot?
What was Lot’s reaction to the message given to him?
What happened when Lot hesitated?
What warning was included in the message?
How did Lot respond to the angelic message?
Did the angel help Lot to make up his mind?
Did Lot get the angelic host to compromise?
How soon was Lot to do what the angel said?
How did Lot’s wife respond?
Did God fulfill the promise that He made?
What did God use to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?
When the city was destroyed, what happened to Lot’s wife?
After God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, what did He remember?
NURTURING THE SEED
Why do think God sent two angels to Lot’s house?
Do you think Lot recognized who the two angels really were?
Was the response of Lot appropriate?
What message was Lot to act on and how soon?
Did Lot do what the angels told him to do?
How did the angels act on behalf of Lot and his family?
What happens when one does not fully understand God?
Did Lot debate the order of God with the angels?
What happened to Lot and his family when the angels agreed?
What is the significant of the name ZOAR?
How did God destroy the two cities?
What happened to Lot’s wife and why?
After raining down judgment, what did God do?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED
Faith can bring positive acts from God on your behalf.
God is fair with His judgment and His mercy.
When we do not hear God, He is long suffering toward us.
There are consequences to disobedience.
God’s mercy trumps his judgment.
God will follow through on His promises.
Even judgment can be an act of mercy.