A COVENANT TO MARRY/A PROMISE TO MARRY
Study date: 18 Aug. 19
Scripture: Ruth 3: 1-6, 8-12; 16-18
Memory Verse: “And he said, Blessed be thou of the Lord, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich.”Ruth 3: 10)
Guiding Principle: Ruth’s commitment to Naomi and her efforts to obey were rewarded with favor from Boaz and marriage to her kinsman-redeemer.
Resources for the seed: Ezekiel 16: 8-14; Deuteronomy 24: 1-4; 1 Corinthians 7: 1-11; 1 Peter 3: 1-9; Ruth 4: 9-17.
- To see the legal procedure for Boaz to claim Ruth and become kinsman-redeemer.
- To sense the urgency to act on the orders to marry Ruth.
- To obey God and honor marriage in every way.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Boaz—kinsman-redeemer, rich farmer in Bethlehem.
Daughter—female child, maiden.
Feet—place of the feet,
Naomi—wife and widow of Elimelech, lost everything and was blessed for faithfulness.
Night—time of darkness, opposite of day.
Rest—be quiet, undisturbed.
Ruth—daughter-in-law of Naomi, Moabite woman, became direct ancestor of Jesus.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
How ought you behave when you lose everything?
How is the story of Ruth and Boaz like that of the prodigal son?
What provision do God make for those who obey?
Who gave Ruth instructions on how to carry herself?
What will God do for us when we fully commit to Him?
Should marriage be considered a civil or spiritual matter?
How is marriage a three way relationship?
THE SEED A COVENANT TO MARRY/A PROMISE TO MARRY
Ruth 3: 1-6, 8-12, 16-18
- A Quest for a New Life (Ruth 3: 1-6)
- A former mother-in-law wanted the best for Ruth.
- Naomi told Ruth about a kinsman-redeemer named Boaz.
- Naomi gave Ruth instructions about meeting and having a relationship with Boaz.
- Naomi told Ruth what reaction to expect.
- Ruth was obedient to Naomi.
- When Character Counts/Matters (Ruth 3: 6-11)
- Things began to change at midnight.
- Boaz feared the woman at his feet had bad motives.
- Ruth identifies herself to Boaz as a handmaid.
- Boaz asked for more blessings upon Ruth at the end than at the beginning.
- Boaz promised to take care of Ruth and make her known as a virtuous woman (Proverbs 31)
- The Reward for Righteousness and Obedience (Ruth 12, 16-18)
- Boaz agreed to do the right thing and be Ruth’s kinsman but referred Ruth to a closer kinsman.
- Ruth reported everything Boaz did back to Naomi.
- Naomi instructed Ruth to be still and be blessed.
Thank God for the strong spiritual mentoring of Naomi for Ruth. It is not just any young man that one ought to marry but a kinsman-redeemer. A healthy marriage makes a difference for all.
PLANTING THE SEED
Who are main characters in this passage and how are they related?
What directions did the mother-in-law give to her daughter-in-law?
Are there some things we ought to consider in preparation for marriage?
When we prepare for marriage what will God do for our partner?
Is the time and place matters for consideration in marriage?
Is there a right person for each one of us?
What happens after midnight?
How should one person identify themselves to another?
Are looks or character the most important thing to consider?
Does God direct us to the right person to marry?
What happens when we obey the instructions of God regarding marriage?
What should we do when God speaks?
Nurturing the seed
What relationship was Naomi to Ruth and Ruth to Boaz?
Discuss the image we have of in-laws?
Explain your process of finding your spouse?
What are you doing or what did you do to prepare for marriage?
How did you find the person and how did the two of you meet?
How can you determine the character of another person?
What happens when you do the right thing at the right time?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED
Do not judge one person by looking at another.
Listen to the instructions given by those wiser than you.
Work on yourself and God will work on the other person.
You will know when you have met the person God sent your way.
Character means more than looks.
God is speaking to you about being whole.
Be still and hear what god has to say.