JESUS TEACHES ABOUT FULFILLING THE LAW/BE THE DIFFERENCE
Study Date: 7 June 19
Scripture: Matthew 5: 13-20
MEMORY VERSE: “Let your light so shine before men, that they see your good works, abd glorify your Father which is in heaven.”Matthew 5: 16
GUIDING PRINCIPLE: By our actions, others know our beliefs. Do good for others and follow God’s loving path.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED: Colossians 4: 1-6; Isaiah 42: 1-9; Hebrews 10: 1-10; Matthew 23: 1-12; Luke 6: 1-11; Romans 7: 24-8z; 4.
OBJECTIVES: To contrast righteousness taught by Jesus with that of the scribes and Pharisees.
- To appreciate the salt and light of true righteousness.
- To be salt and light in the community where we live.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
- Fulfill—to complete, to make whole.
- Good—worthy, beautiful.
- Lamp—source of light, candle.
- Salt—seasoning, preserving.
- Work—labor, actions, deeds.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
How does the law differ from grace?
In what sense is salt and light a quality for believers to possess?
How is it possible for light or salt to become ineffective?
What is the meaning of barreness?
What can believers do to add value to life?
THE SEED JESUS TEACHES ABOUT FULFILLING THE LAW Matthew 5: 13-20
- You are the salt and light of the world (Matthew 5: 13-16)
- Believers are the difference for those on earth.
- When believers are ineffective, they make no difference.
- Ineffective believers are to be disguarded.
- Believers are to be light for the world.
- Hidden light is of little or no value.
- Everybody can see the shining light
- When out light shines, it leads to God.
- The Law will be fulfilled (Matthew 5: 17-20)
- Christ did not come to destroy the law.
- Christ came to fulfill the law.
- Not one bit of God’s will fail ever.
- Breaking any one of God’s laws is to be guilty of breaking them all.
- Those who keep the law are great in the kingdom.
- Believers should not be hypocrites.
- We should be true to our profession.
Believers do well to love God and one another. We are to impact the lives of others for the glory of God.
PLANTING THE SEED
Who does God expect to be the salt of the earth?
What happens when salt is no longer salty?
What should be done with salt that is not salty?
Who does God expect to be the light of the world?
How can we hide a light?
What will be the result of our shining light?
What is the place of God law among us?
What should be done with that law?
When will God’s law pass away?
What will those who break God’s law be called?
Who will be identified as great in God’s kingdom?
What is required of us to enter God’s kingdom?
NURTURING THE SEED
In what sense are we like Christ?
What happens when people are not functional?
What does Scripture mean by the word “jot” or “tittle”?
How are our actions different from our beliefs?
What mistakes can believers make that God will excuse?
What is the difference between writing and practicing the law of God?
What is the bottom line in the life and priority of believers?
Who will make it into the kingdom of God?
FRUIT FROM THE CROP
Believers have responsibilities in this world.
Be salt and add flavor or preserve.
Season your words to be beneficial to hearers.
Be light in the dark world.
We can make life better for others.
When darkness disappears, God will be glorified.
A light is a living testimony to the world.
God’s commandments should always be respected.
Even a small lamp makes a difference.
The Old Testament demands a commitment to Christ.
Religious leaders should be models of good behavior.