RENOUNCE EVERYTHING FOR CHRIST/GIVING EVERYTHING UP
3 Feb 19
Study Date: Philippians 3: 7-14
KEY VERSE: Brethren, I count nor myself to have apprehended, but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of god in Christ Jesus.”Philippians 3: 13-14
Guiding Principle: Some of look at the things we have gathered and assure we have arrived. But a proper attitude toward accomplishments is to be willing to suffer loss of things for t he greater goal of gaining Christ.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED:
Romans 2: 25-29; Mark 7: 24-30; 2 Corinthians 11: 21-30; Philippians 3: 1-6; Philippians 3: 17-4:1; Philippians 4: 2-9.
- To see the accomplishment of Paul and his purpose is sharing them.
- To value ones relationship with Christ above all else.
- To be humble and stop boasting about things.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Faith—confidence in God, belief in God, fidelity, trust in God.
Gain—to get, profit, advantage.
Knowledge—doctrine, wisdom, a knowing.
Loss—to not have, damage, detriment
Power—might strength, works done marvelously.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
Discuss the salvation experience of Saul to Paul.
What were some of the accomplishments of Paul?
What credentials did Paul possess?
What can you tell us about the city of Philippi?
From when do we get joy and how ought it be expressed?
How should believers present themselves and stand before God?
What is the only thing that believers in Christ should boast about?
What is the role of humility in the lives of believers?
THE SEED RENOUNCE EVERYTHING FOR CHIRST/EYES ON THE PRIZE
Philippians 3: 7-14.
- My Gain Is Loss ( Philippians 3: 7-9)
- Things gained on earth are a loss for us humans.
- Various people place various value on different things.
- Contemporary society places the emphasis on wealth, sex, physical condition, fame, talent, cars, property, education, possessions, and position.
- Winning with Christ is the most important thing.
- Righteousness must be based on something more than law.
- Faith in Christ will make the difference.
- To Know Christ (Philippians 3: 10-11)
- The goal is three fold:
- To know Him,
- To know the power of His resurrection.
- To know the fellowship of His suffering.
- The goal is to be resurrected with the Master.
- Pressing Toward The Mark ( (Philippians 3: 12-14)
- WE not yet reached the fullness of His glory.
- We must forget the things of the past.
- We must press toward the mark of higher calling in Christ Jesus.
PLANTING THE SEED
What should believers consider of value?
Have we gained something or value that we hold on to?
What is our personal righteous value d at?
Who are the three things believers ought to aim to accomplish?
What is the significance of the resurrection?
Should we think of our earthly accomplishments as sufficient?
What is the conviction of the Apostle Paul.
Which way is he looking and focusing?
Which way is he reaching?
What is his ultimate goal?
NURTURING THE SEED
How does one get to understand Paul’s conviction in verse 7?
Should our attention be focused on our earthly achievements?
What does it means to suffer everything?
Define the two major types of righteousness.
Explain the three things Paul said needs to be desired.
What is the greatest attainment for believers?
In what sense have we not yet reached the goal?
What must we put aside and what must we pursue?
Who controls the ultimate prize for believers?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED
Believers have not yet completed the Christian assignment.
Trust in things will not pay off.
We must recognize our own failures.
The righteousness of God supercedes that of humans.
God has given us three things to look forward to spiritually.
Like Jesus die and rose, we look to rise as well.
We still have a ways to go before we reach the mark of higher calling.
Believers have to keep pressing on.
Hymn: “I pressing on the upward way, new heights I am gaining every day.
Still praying as I am onward bod, Lord plant my feet on higher ground.”