The Pastor France A Davis Scholarship seeks to identify students committed to making a significant contribution to their communities; who demonstrate leadership potential, and who are prepared to excel academically. Most important, it seeks to reduce the financial barriers for a) African American students, b) students who have one or more parents of African descent, c) students who have a demonstrated interest and involvement in issues specifically pertaining to the African American community. The Pastor France A. Davis Scholarship seeks to increase the representation of these students at colleges and universities in Utah.
Scholarship awards will be based on the following:
- Recipient must be a resident of Utah and eligible to attend or be enrolled at a higher education institution in Utah.
- Applicant must have a cumulative grade point average of no less than 2.5 at the time of application of the scholarship. Recipients are expected to maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative average for each semester the scholarship is awarded.
- The recipient must enroll in and successfully complete a minimum of 15 credit hours fall and spring semesters respectively.
- Applicant must provide an autobiography (not to exceed four typed double spaced pages) that include the following:
a. Information regarding your academic and professional goals.
b. Description of the influences i.e.family members, religious leaders, educators, community leaders etc… that have motivated you academically and assisted in the development of the values you deem important in your life.
c. How will your educational and career goals contribute to the advancement of the African American community?
d. A list of your past and current community activities.
5. Applicant must provide three letters of recommendation from: educators, employers, counselors, business professionals, or community leaders who can provide information on your academic abilities, character and potential to contribute to humankind.
All materials must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2019. Only complete applications will be considered.
Mail completed applications to:
Pastor France A. Davis Scholarship Committee
1090 South State Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111