LOVE AND WORSHIP GOD/CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE/LOVE INSPIRES GRATITUDE
Study Date: 16 Dec. 18
Psalm 103: 1-17; 21-22
Key Verse: “As far as the east if from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.” (Psalm 103: 12)
Guiding Principle: Remembering personal failures can cause us to feel anxious and confused. The Psalmist offers us consolation through God’s steadfast love and our thanks.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED:
Romans 8: 31-39; Psalm 86: 1-13; Nehemiah 9: 16-21; Exodus 34: 1-7; Numbers 14: 13-20.
- To sing with the Psalmist of the breath and depth of God’s love.
- To appreciate what God provides to comfort us in times of trouble.
- To accept the consolation of God with worship and devotion.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Bless—to kneel, to praise, pronouncing good things upon one.
Forgives—pardon, show mercy, be gracious, favor, to cover.
Name—ones representation, how one is identified for who one really is, reflection of ones character.
Redeem—acts as kinsman, to ransom, to avenge.
Righteousness—honesty, justice, declared justified.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
Describe the writer attributed to this Psalm.
To whom should we give thanks and praise?
What are some of the “Many blessings we can count”?
Other than praise, what might be a human response to the blessings from God?
What are some of the cause for our worry and fretting?
Who should forgive?
How many times are we taught to forgive?
Should our reactions change with our circumstances?
THE SEED LOVE AND WORSHIP/LOVES INSPIRES GRATITUDE
Psalm 103; 1-17, 21-22.
- Our Souls Should Praise the Lord (Psalm 103: 1-5)
- We ought to praise God with all that is within us.
- We must never forget the goodness of God.
- God forgives even our worst sin and heals us.
- We are redeemed by the power of God and made like God.
- God renews us just as He does the eagles, so that we pursue the things of God.
- The Traits of God’s Character (Psalm 103: 6-10)
- God expects us to become like He is.
- God is merciful, gracious, slow to anger, plentiful in mercy.
- God will call us to account but will leave us alone.
- The anger of God does not last forever and He will give us another chance.
- Some Spiritual Similes (Psalm 103: 11-14)
- Like heaven is above earth, God’s mercy is above us.
- Like the east is from the west, our transgressions will be removed from us.
- Like a father with his children, so is God caring for us.
- God know all about us, inside and out.
- Man is Passing but God is Here to Stay (Psalm 103: 15-17, 21-22)
- People fade like flowers.
- The wind moves and so will our situation.
- God’s mercy will be with us forever.
- Blessing God brings Him pleasure.
- What God does is worthy of praise.
God set the example by loving us so that we can love others. We should love one another and praise God with all our being.
PLANTING THE SEED
From where should praise and worship emanate?
What makes our praise authentic?
What are the benefits of a personal relationship with God?
How is forgiveness underutilized?
What are some of the benefits of a relationship with God?
How is half-hearted and whole-hearted praise different?
How does God satisfy His children?
What are some of the character traits of God we are familiar with?
Does God treat the foreigner and the wicked the same?
What evidence reveals our personal relationship with God?
NURTURING THE SEED
What is the value of praise to God and to others?
Identify different kinds of praise.
What are some of the benefits we receive from God?
Give some examples of whole-hearted praise to God.
What should believers who are dis-satisfied do?
Do we have any of the traits of god in our lives?
What is the evidence that we have a personal relationship with God?
THE FRUIT FROM THE SEED
Each person should be individually thankful to God.
Find a way to praise and show gratitude to God.
God is always good and merciful.
God loves and is patient with us.
When we do wrong, we will find ourselves outside of God’s will.
God blessings are available to us even in our difficulties.
God never fails to demonstrate His love, protection, and forgiveness.
Human frailty is the opposite of Godly purpose.
The whole universe ought to praise God.
The love of God is everlasting.