GOD CREATED THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH/THE FIRST DAYS OF CREATION/THE BEGINNING
Study Date: 2 Sept 18
Scripture: Genesis 1: 1-13
Biblical Date: unknown
Biblical Location: Heaven and Earth
KEY VERSE: “The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” (Genesis 1: 2)
Guiding Principle: We stand amazed at the wonders created by God. It is to His glory that all things are what they are. Praise God.
- To know that God spoken the entire creation into being.
- To see God’s master plan for the creation of the world.
- To remember that God created the heaven and the earth.
- To sense the importance of being part of God’s awesome creation.
- To see and depend upon the Spirit of God to help then and now.
- To Celebrate all God has created in praise and prayer.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Darkness—without light, obscurity, night.
Day—time with light, day.
Earth—physical world, whole earth.
Good—agreeable, pleasant, precious.
Heaven—the sky, visible above.
Moved—hovering over, shaken.
Night—time of darkness, opposite of day.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
How did the world come to be?
How did things get their initial start?
What does the phrase “in the beginning” suggest?
Why does it take faith to accept the teachings of Biblical creation?
How does the creation story provide a foundation for all of Scripture?
THE SEED GOD CREATED THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH GENESIS 1: 1-13
- Sovereign God transforms chaos into cosmos and darkness into light (Genesis 1: 1-5)
- It was a dark beginning.
- The Spirit of God was at work.
- Light transformed and separated things.
- The Division for the Waters on Day 2 (Genesis 1: 6-8)
- The Waters had firmament in the midst of them.
- The Waters were divided.
- Some water was above and some below.
- The upper wasfirmament was called heaven.
- The Earth is Fertile (Genesis 1: 9-13)
- When the waters below gathered, the earth appeared.
- The earth became productive and yielding.
- Vegetation appeared.
When the Spirit of God steps into the world’s darkness, order and power manifest themselves.
PLANTING THE SEED
What does the beginnings refer to?
What do we learn about God from the very start of His mention?
What was the earth like when God first created it?
What truth makes the creation of light significant?
What did God call the first appearance of light and dark?
What was divided by the neat act of creation?
What does God’s naming of things in creation show us?
What does the word “heaven” mean?
Discuss the significance of the formation of the seas.
What important truth do we see in seed-bearing vegetation?
NURTURING THE CROP
Is “general revelation” sufficient for salvation?
What do we learn from creation about the character and mind of God?
Why is it important for us to understand that everything was created by God?
How does the separation of light and darkness illustrate salvation?
What in this lesson helps us to understand the purpose of God?
What can we do with the truth to encourage others?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED
Creation is a demonstration that God wants to be known.
Only God can create something out of nothing.
God continues to bring order to everything and provides light in dark places.
Nature is ordered by God and functions as He designs.
Light and order belong to God and are shared with us.
We can trust God to provide whatever we need.
We can trust God’s goodness to be displayed when the time is right.
Whatever is being created today come from God.