PRACTICING JUSTICE/PRACTICING GODLY VIRTUES/LIVE ON PURPOSE
Study Date: 26 Aug 18
Scripture: COLOSSIANS 3: 5-17
Biblical Date: A. D. 60
Biblical Location: ROME
KEY VERSE: “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering.” (Colossians 3: 12)
- To explore the clothing those who live justly wear.
- To clearly understand Godly virtues.
- To appreciate how others dressed for Christ.
- To learn how to live for God and be a blessing to others.
- To make sure our lives are characterized by living for Christ.
- To live justly for Christ.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED
Colossians 2: 6-12; Matthew 5: 43-48; John 17: 14-19; Romans 8: 1-11; Ephesians 4: 25-5: 2.
GUIDING PRINCIPLE: In order for us to make a positive difference in the lives of others, we must live faithfully and justly before God and with others.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Death—to be lifeless, to be dead, the spirit is gone.
Holy—sacred, set-aside, pure, morally blameless, ceremonially consecrated.
Peace—calm, at rest, settle in mind.
Renewed—renovated, make new, changed for good.
TILLING THE SOIL
What are some of the reason you have heard as to why people do not attend church?
Why should believers strive to live so that others will be attracted to Christ?
What does it mean to live in Christ today?
What can each one of us do to model Christianity for others.
THE SEED PRACTICING JUSTICE/LIVE OU PURPOSE COLOSSIANS 3: 5-17
- Eliminating the Negative of Life (Colossians 3: 5)
- Believers would kill the fleshly desires, get rid of them.
- Worldly things are the result of idolatry.
- Life has a “Then and Now” quality (Colossians 3: 6-8)
- The things we are to kill are due to the wrath of God for disobedience.
- All of us have had part in wrong doing and living.
- However, God changes those who repent and put off evil.
- Sins we commit by our words (Colossians 3: 9-11)
- Little or big lies are sin.
- The old person must be replaced by the new person in knowledge.
- In God’s eyes we are all the same when we change.
- Proof that we are new in Christ (Colossians 3: 12-17)
- Putting on the new person is result of God’s love and mercy.
- Our behavior toward others is more patient.
- Love is the ultimate Christian act of purpose and justice.
- Peace comes to those who are grateful.
- The Words of Christ directs our footsteps. (See Psalm 119)
- Your word or deed makes the difference with God.
Our minds need to be renewed daily so that we can live as new creations in Christ.
PLANTING THE SEED
Discuss the origin of the church at Colossian.
What does it mean to “mortify” the flesh?
Why do you think Paul stress sexual sins in his list of vices?
To what did Paul say Covetousness and greed are like?
Explain Paul’s image of conversion.
What is the difference between anger and wrath?
What sins of speech did Paul lift up and are they still a concern today?
What barriers are broken down by the body of Christ?
What should be our model for forgiveness in the local church?
What is the purpose of Christian music?
NURTURING THE SEED
When we know what the Savior wants, what should our response be?
What should believers do about evil desires?
How do we get rid of evil traits?
Why are we told not to lie to one another?
To be spiritually good, what choice should we make and follow?
What is the state of those who are not reborn but still in sin and trespasses?
How is our practice of Christian virtues obedience and nothing to brag about?
How is the “new man” similar or difference from Jesus?
When loves unites us, what can we expect?
What happens to those who believe in “chance”?
Who governs us in doing right?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED
God has given us clear instructions about what to remove from our lives.
New people are to be truth tells all the time.
We are all sinners in need of salvation.
Christian life should be marked with love and kindness.
The words of Jesus should overflow from our lives. (see Psalm 23: 5)
Everything we do and say should be done for the cause of Christ.
God calls us to action.
We must be born again.
Shun evil things of the world.
The old must become new.
God wants there to be no distinctions.
Live the virtues of Christ.
Categories: Bible Study