THE RISEN LORD APPEARS/APPEARANCE OF THE RISEN LORD/CHOOSING TO FOLLOW
Study Date: 8 April 18
Scripture: John 21: 1-14
Biblical Date: A. D. 30
Biblical Location: SEA OF TIBERIAS
KEY VERSE: “JESUS SAITH UNTO THEM, COME AND DINE, AND NONE OF THE DISCIPLES DURST ASK HIM, Who art thou? Knowing that it was the Lord.” (John 21: 12)
- To summarize the appearance of Jesus to seven disciples on the sea of Galilee shore.
- To see how Jesus strengthens and helps our faith.
- To affirm the symbolic and real presence of Jesus in our communal meals.
- To see how Jesus is fully capable of meeting our needs.
- To practice the presence of Christ by eating together.
- To be available to God by putting ourselves in the way of His blessings.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED
Luke 24: 36-49; 1 Corinthians 15: 1-8; 2 timothy 3: 14-17; Acts 8: 26-35; John 21: 15-23.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
- Bartholomew—Nathaniel, gift of God. Always mention with Philip.
- Bring—to carry some burden, to put in the presence, to cause to be, to make happen.
- Cast—throw, to thrust, to let go.
- Come—to arrive, to more from there to here.
- Loved—strong affection for, deep liking, intense fondness, deep devotion.
- Nothing—zero, naught, thing that does not exist.
- Shewed—make manifest, visible, make known what was hidden.
- Simon—Peter, means listen or he has heard, wrote two books, son of Jonah.
- Sons of Zebedee—James and John, sons of thunder, wanted special seats in the kingdom.
- Thomas—means twin. Twin unnamed (John 11: 16, 20: 24, 21: 2)
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND/TILLING THE SOIL
- Who were the people who saw Jesus after His resurrection?
- Why are those commissioned by Jesus back fishing again?
- What is miraculous about the catching of an abundance of fish?
- What can you expect to find by following the instructions of Jesus?
- Discuss the “right side of the boat” and it’s implications.
- What are some of the reasons for following Jesus?
- Why do the disciples not recognize who Jesus is?
THE SEED THE RISEN LORD APPEARS/IT IS THE LORD JOHN 21: 1-14
- Gathering After Jesus’ Resurrection (John 21: 1-3)
- Jesus appears twice before and now He shows Himself to seven disciples.
- Four of the disciples were not present.
- Peter, Thomas, Nathaniel, James, John, and two others were present.
- Peter and the other decided to go fishing but caught nothing.
- Fishing On The Sea Early Morning (John 21: 4-8)
- Jesus stood on the bank and asked what they had caught.
- He told them where to fish to make a catch.
- There they caught so many that they could not get them to the boat.
- Knowing it was the Lord, the disciples got themselves together and headed for shore.
- Meeting Jesus On The Shore (John 21: 9-14)
- They saw a fire on shore with fish and bread.
- Jesus called to the disciples to bring the fish they had caught.
- There were 153 fish but the net did not break.
- They knew it was Jesus and joined Him to eat.
- This was the third appearance of Jesus.
When we listen and follow the words of Jesus, we can be sure He is the Lord of lords.
PLANTING THE SEED
- What seven disciples were present in this account.
- Why do you think the name Peter is first among these men?
- What do you think Peter meant when he said, “I Go A Fishing.”?
- Why did Jesus ask the disciples if they had caught any fish?
- Why did these experienced fishermen obey a stranger’s instructions on fishing technique?
- What did the large catch reveal to the disciples?
- Why did the disciples not ask who Jesus was?
- How did Jesus reassure the disciples?
- Who else did Jesus appear to after the resurrection?
- What implications should we note about the resurrection?
NURTURING THE SEED
- How is Jesus present with believers today?
- When Jesus comes to you, how do you recognize Him?
- In what ways do situations turn around because Jesus is there?
- How can believers remain productive in times of uncertainty?
- What impact does teamwork and cooperation have on relationships?
- How does Jesus’ behavior show leadership examples?
- How is this appearance of Jesus similar to the day He called Peter to be a disciple?
FRUIT FROM THE CROP
- Jesus is always present with those who follow Him.
- When your efforts seem futile, do not become discouraged.
- You will find what you need when you follow Jesus.
- A good follower appreciates the wisdom on his leader.
- Jesus brings an abundance where there is a lack.
- Jesus prepares for His children and provides what they need.
- When you go fishing use the right bait and tool.
- Guided by the Holy Spirit, evangelist will find those who need to be saved/caught.
- Fish that are mounted won’t grow anymore.