A DISCIPLINED FAITH/TAMING THE TONGUE/WATCH YOUR MOUTH
Study Date: 11 Feb 18
Scripture: James 3: 1-12
Biblical Date: ABOUT a. d. 45
KEY VERSE: “But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.” (James 3: 8)
- To understand why James instructs us concerning the tongue.
- To comprehend the analogy of the tongue, spiritually.
- To value a controlled tongue.
- To call attention to the improper use of the tongue and ungodly speech.
- To guard our speech at all times in family, church, employment, and social settings.
- To pray for Divine help in using our tongue for blessings only.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED
Deuteronomy 8: 1-3; Psalm 14: 1-4; Matthew 12: 33-37; Luke 6: 43-45; Matthew 21: 14-16; Matthew 5: 22-37.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Condemnation—caused to be harmed, to be damned, convicted.
Curse—to doom, imprecate evil upon.
Teach—to inform, to make know for memory.
Tongue—member of the body in the mouth, speech , organ of speech, fleshy muscle in the mouth of a mammal, source of tasting, that which corrupts the whole body.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND/TILLING THE SOIL
Where does the book of James fit among other New Testament books?
How is James different from the letters written by Paul and similar to other letters?
What does it mean to be faithful?
How would described a person who is disciplined? Can you do it with one word?
What is a person implying when they use the word “we”?
How is human nature difference from divine nature?
How is the control of animals similar to the control of the tongue?
THE SEED A DISCIPLINED FAITH/TAMING THE TONGUE James 3: 1-12
- What is the Teacher to Be Aware Of? (James 3: 1-4)
- Teachers have great influence but some need to stop trying to teach.
- Those who teach have increased responsibility.
- Little things have major impact.
- Several examples illustrate the impact of small things—bits and rudders.
- The small tongue is dangerous, starting fires.
- What can we do to Tame Our Tongues? (James 3: 5-8)
- Evil beast, evil birds, serpents, and sea animals are tame-able.
- The tongue of man is not tame-able.
- The same tongue blesses God and curses man.
- What is the relationship between Profanity and Praise? (James 3: 9-12)
- Blessings and curses come from the same mouth.
- Double tongues are not according to God’s wishes.
- Fig trees bear no other fruit than figs.
- Fountains either give salt water or fresh water.
One instrument of the body that is contrary is the tongue. We use it to sing praise to God and to complain when we are not getting our own way. Praying and walking in the Spirit is the only way to wisdom.
PLANTING THE SEED
Who were the first people James referred to about tongues?
What was he apparently concerned about?
What two things did James use to illustrate the major impact of small things?
How is the tongue like other small things?
What danger does the tongue pose?
What 4 forms of animal life can be tamed?
Why is the tongue not tame-able?
What shows that the tongue can be used for good or bad, positive or negative?
What shows hoe impossible this should be?
What is the key to controlling our speech?
NURTURING THE SEED
How does living a complicated life affect others?
Are Christian teachers held to higher standards than others?
Why should teachers be held to a higher standard?
How can we teach others the importance of controlling their tongues?
Why do we tend to underestimate the power of the tongue?
What practical steps can a believer take to control the tongue?
How can we use our words to bless others?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED
As believers, we must always consider how we lead and influence others.
Many of us fail to control our tongues although disciplined in other ways.
Never underestimate the benefit or damage of words we use.
Satan uses uncontrolled tongues to destroy our lives and the lives of others.
WE as believers must depend on the Holy Spirit’s power to control our tongues.
Our character is revealed by the words that we speak.
The tongue is a power instrument for good or bad.
We live in a world of iniquity but must find ways not to behave as the world does.
What is inside of us surely will come out.
Categories: Bible Study