Study Date: 19 Nov. 17
Scripture: Hebrews 12: 14-15, 18-29
Biblical Date: About A.D. 67
Key Verse: “Wherefore we received a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we man serve God acceptable with reverence and Godly fear: for our God is a consuming fire.” (Hebrews 12: 28-29)
GUIDING PRINCIPLE: We need to draw near to God and experience His awesomeness. We can approach His throne though His Son Jesus Christ.
OBJECTIVE: To hear and understand God’s teaching about “a consuming fire.
- To understand the role of the Mediator in our new covenant.
- To appreciate the centrality of Christ in God’s plan.
- To repent of our failures and acknowledge the holiness of God.
- To celebrate Jesus as our Mediator to get to God.
- To serve God in the most acceptable manner.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED:
Psalm 66: 1-4; Matthew 5: 1-12; Deuteronomy 4: 21-24; Psalm 66: 16-20; Hebrews 10: 11-18; Hebrews 9: 11-15.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Grace—the free gift of God, that which brings joy, delight, pleasure, favor, thanks.
Holiness—consecration, sanctification, apart unto God.
Mediator—go between, one who restores peace, one who brings to together.
Peace—tranquility, quietness, rest.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
What makes Hebrews one of the most important books in The Bible?
Who wrote the book of Hebrews?
What does the word “better” signify in the book of Hebrews?
What must the believer do about this book?
Who has God given as the believers Mediator?
What is the importance of having someone for a go-between?
SEED MEDIATOR OF THE NEW COVENANT/THE GO-BETWEEN HEBREWS 12: 14-15; 18-29
- FOLLOW HOLINESS (Hebrews 12: 14-15)
- Those who are spiritual will follow after peace and holiness.
- No one can see God unless they have peace and holiness.
- We must do all we can to avoid falling away from God’s grace.
- Bitterness is a sign of danger and defilement.
- FEARFUL ENCOUNTER (Hebrews 12: 18-21)
- When God is will overwhelm you.
- God has an awesome experience for those who believe.
- Rituals are replaced with relationship.
- We must not forsake the assembling of ourselves together.
- FAITHFUL MEDIATOR (HEBREWS 12: 22-24)
- God will send a new heavenly Jerusalem.
- Those born again will be new in life.
- Jesus is the Mediator for the new covenant.
- FUTURE JUDGMENT (Hebrews 12: 25-29)
- Those who refuse the Mediator will get punishment.
- God is speaking to forewarn us.
- Those who receive the mediator will be kept and will avoid the consuming fire.
WE ARE TO SERVE THE LORD WITH REVERENCE AND GODLY FEAR. SERVE HIM!
PLANTING THE SEED
Why must the believer pursue peace and holiness?
How is it possible to “fail…the grace of God”?
What should be the response to the voice of God?
What made the mountain where the law was give “holy”?
What happened to animals that came in contact with the mountain?
What mountain does the Christian come to instead of Mount Sanai?
What does the “Church of the Firstborn” refer to?
Who are the “just men made perfect”?
In what way is Jesus the “mediator of the new covenant”?
What is going to happen to the world at the Second Coming?
NURTURING THE SEED
What rituals and ceremonies did the Israelites practice in search of peace?
How does a right relationship with God affect our relationship to one another?
How is it possible to live at peace with those not committed to peace?
Describe what was going on at Mount Sinai?
What is the difference between Mount Sinai and Mount Zion?
What is a mediator?
FRUIT FROM THE SEED
Some will not read God’s Word but will only read you and me.
Guard against bitterness.
Bitterness harms your relationship with others.
God’s holiness and power reveals the wickedness and failures in us.
We can draw near to God through Jesus Christ.
Believers have peace and forgiveness because of the peace of God.
By rejecting the grace and Gospel of Christ, we choose judgment.
Mount Sinai was the old covenant with it’s darkness.
Mount Zion is the new convent with the Light.
God’s consuming fire signifies His judgment.
Live in peace and holiness.
Come to god joyfully.
Do not refuse God.
Categories: Bible Study