Lesson Study Date: 12 Nov 17
Scripture: JEREMIAH 31: 27-34
Biblical Date: 587 B.C.
Biblical Location: JERUSALEM
KEY VERSE: “I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31: 33)
Guiding principle: No matter how much we try, we humans fail. God alone can restore relationships and give us His law so that we are His people and He is our God.
- To examine the new law God will write on our hearts.
- To understand how the new covenant differs from others.
- To realize that the new covenant requires internalizations of God’s truth.
- To appreciate the difference in relationships given for God.
- To obey Biblical truth from the heart.
- To live according to what God writes upon our hearts.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED: Jeremiah 31: 1-20; Hosea 2: 16-20; Luke 22: 14-20.
WORDS TO REMEMBER
Build—establish, cause to continue
Hearts—inner man, mind, will, understanding.
Iniquity—depravity, perversity, guilt, punishment.
Sow—scatter seed, plant, producing, yielding.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND
What is a covenant with God?
What characteristics of God are revealed by His covenant with us?
Give some examples of covenants broken and tell who broke them.
Are there times when God has given up on His people?
What blessings can we expect from God?
How is the Lord’s Supper a reminder of the importance of God’s covenant today?
THE SEED PROMISE OF A NEW COVENANT/WRITTEN ON THE HEART Jeremiah 31: 27-34
- The Promise of the New Covenant (31: 27-20)
- This covenant is about the “days come,” a future of the nation.
- God promises to great increase or replant his people.
- Something new is to be expected.
- Each person would pay or suffer only for his own sin.
- The Contrast of the new covenant (31: 31-32)
- The old covenant was the Mosaic covenant, repeatedly broken.
- God always is faithful to His covenant.
- A new covenant is coming that will be unique.
- The previous covenant was broken but God still loved the people.
- The Nature of the New Covenant (31: 33)
- The new covenant with God’s people will be put in their hearts.
- God will be the people’s God and the people will be His people.
- The Results of the New Covenant (31: 34)
- Teaching the new covenant will not be necessary.
- The new covenant will be within.
- The sins of the people will be forgiven and not remembered.
God gives us a covenant ON THE INSIDE and we ought to obey it from our hearts.
PLANTING THE CROP
What do we learn from the words, “Behold, the days come”?
What does sowing the “seed of man” and “seed of beast” refer to?
What is the lesson from the “sour grapes” proverb?
With whom did God make the new covenant?
How does this new covenant relate to believers today or the church now?
When was the new covenant implemented?
What is the significance of t he new covenant being written on the heart?
Why will teaching no long be necessary?
How will people get to know the Lord?
What blessing is the greatest in the new covenant?
Why were sacrifices commanded before?
NURTURING THE CROP
What Scripture can you share with others to help them rebuild their lives?
What consequences cause our lives to fall apart?
What are some examples of ways that sin affects our lives?
What can we do to help others make better choices?
What is a proverb?
How have proverbs been used to communicate truth?
What was important about God renewing the covenant with His people?
How did this new covenant differ from previous covenants?
Has God changed your life? How?
FRUIT FROM THE CROP
God never disciplines His children without restoration.
He loves us and disciplines us as an act of love.
Remember that our sins do affect others.
All of us are accountable for our own sin.
No matter how much we fail, God’s plan cannot be halted.
Our personal relationship with God is the basis for His covenant with us.
God is available to all who will believe in Him.
There is a time to rebuild for all of us.
We are all accountable to God.
God has a new covenant for those who believe.
The heart must be transformed to be rightly related to God.
God new covenant is sealed with us by the blood of Jesus Christ and a new heart.