Lesson Date: 8 Oct 13
Scripture: Exodus 19: 16-25
Biblical date: 1445 B.C.
Location: Mount Sinai
Key Verse: Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God: and they stood at the neither part of the mount.” (Exodus 19: 17)
- To understand what happened prior to the giving of the Ten Commandments.
- To aspire to live befitting God’s obedient servants.
- To engage in worship practices that reverence God.
- To have proper fear and respect in our relationship to the Lord.
GUIDING PRINCIPLE: Because of our human weakness, we need to have God helps us so we can stand in God’s awesome presence.
RESOURCES FOR THE SEED
Deuteronomy 10: 12-22; Exodus 19: 9b-15; Isaiah 60: 1-7; Psalm 135: 1-9, 19-21; Luke 9: 28-36; 1 Peter 2: 1-10.
Words to Remember
Answered—to respond, testify, speak, shout, answer.
Change—to take, to return, to repeat, to go back, to do again.
Descended—came down, declined, marched down, sank down.
Priests—Those consecrated to offer sacrifices on behalf of the people to God.
Stood—to place, set, stand, station oneself, present oneself.
Trembled—quaked, moved about, was afraid, was startled.
BREAKING UP FALLOW GROUND/TILLING THE SOIL
- How would you describe the Ten Commandments to one who does not know about them?
- Describe the context in which the Ten Commandments were given.
- What made the people solemn and fearful during this time?
- What makes the covenant between God and Israel so serious?
- What did the 400 years bondage do to the children of Israel?
- Is this covenant God response to the cries of His people?
- How many years was Moses shepherd of sheep and of people?
THE SEED GOD’S COVENANT WITH ISRAEL.SEEING A PROMISE Exodus 19: 16-25
A. The Three Day Assembly (19: 16-19)
1. Thunders and lightning came with thick clouds on the third day.
2. The voice of the Lord spoke to all like thunder and all heard.
3. Moses delivered the people out of the camp to meet God.
4. The Lord descended and the mountain quaked.
5. The voice of God got louder and louder…Moses spoke and God answered.
B. The Warning and Admonition (19: 20-22)
1. The Lord came and invited Moses to the Mountain top.
2. Moses was to warn the people of the danger of entering the presence of God.
3. The priest were to be careful how they approached God.
C. The Ascent of Man and God (19: 23-25)
1. Moses said the people could not come because of the nature of God
2. So God sent Moses back to the people.
3. Moses went to talk to the people.
We are to be Salt of the earth and light of the world, intermediaries between God and man.
PLANTING THE SEED
- How long was the journey from Egypt to Sinai?
- What had happened in Mount Sinai before these circumstances?
- What was the sanctification of the people before they met God?
- How was the Lord’s presence manifested?
- Why were their boundaries set around the mountain?
- What would happen to those disregarding the limits of God’s plan?
- What priests served the nations in those days?
- What can we learn from the experience of Israel at Sinai?
- What was the role of Aaron in the presence of the Lord?
- In what sense was Moses a mediator between God and Israel?
NURTURING THE SEED/FERTILIZING THE CROP
- How long did the people wait for God to be ready to bless them?
- How did god demonstrate His awesomeness?
- Where did Moses lead the people to?
- What caused the people to fear?
- What trip was this for Moses to the Mountain?
- What might be the cause of death for the disobedient people?
- What needs did the priest have to meet?
- What made this meeting so serious?
- How did God’s message get from the mountain top to the people?
- What are the consequences of disrespecting God?
FRUIT FROM THE CROP
- Believers must prepare themselves daily to meet the All-Powerful and Holy God.
- God will display His power and glory as He sees fit.
- We can never fully understand the power of God.
- God wants to draw near to His people.
- Sin separates us from God but God provides reconciliation.
- Resist the temptation to idolize human leaders because they are not God.
- Obedience is critical for those who would lead the people of God.
- God holiness is terrifying.
- Because of our sin, we must be careful about entering the presence of God.